Manchester United v Espanyol - Solskjaer Testimonial

Manchester United v Espanyol - Pre Season Friendly
Yesterday was the last time Manchester United fans were going to see Ole Gunnar Solskjaer put on a red shirt and play at Old Trafford and it was definetly a special day for everyone accociated with Manchester United.

Solskjaer wasn't in the starting line-up, but I wasn't really expecting him to be in it.
Nani and Evra were back for United after Euro 2008.

Espanyol started brightly with two fast corners, which came to nothing.
Tevez was nearly in, about 14 minutes into the match with a good ball by Nani.
Nani should have scored, about 20 minutes in when Scholes' chip hit the post and bounced back into the path of Nani who hit it wide.
United were definetly controlling the match with Fletcher and Tevez also having great chances to open up the scoring.
Espanyol looked like they were struggling to deal with United's pace and speed. Nani was causing problems down the wing, hopefully he can have a great season especially to show Ronaldo that Manchester United don't actually need him.

Second half and Vidic should have scored from a corner, his header went wide, if it was on target then it would have been 1-0 to United.
Espanyol had a few more chances at the start of this half when they broke.
We had to wait for the 68th minute until we saw Solskjaer walk onto the pitch for his final game for United.
Every touch that Solskjaer took was cheered. Two minutes after Solskjaer came on, he nearly scored but the goalie managed to get fingertips on the ball.

Three minutes were added on, unfortunetly Solskjaer didn't score but it was an end to his wonderful career as a Manchester United player.

The only scorer of the game was the new kid on block, hopefully he will stay at United.
82 minutes into the match and United took a deserved lead when Campbell calmly dinked the ball over the keeper.

Teams:

United: Van der Sar (Kuszczak 46); Simpson, Ferdinand (Brown 46), Vidic (Evans 62), Evra (Silvestre 46); Gibson (O’Shea 62), Fletcher, Scholes, Nani (Campbell 46); Giggs, Tevez (Solskjaer 68)Booked: Tevez, Scholes

Espanyol: Cristian; Chica (La Cruz 46), Jarque, Riera (Lopes 46), Beranger; A Martinez (Lopez 70), de la Pena (R Martinez 46), Rufete (Callejon 46); Torrejon, Hurtado (Sielva 53), SorianoSubs not used: RuizBooked: Rufete, Chica, Jarque

Manchester United v Espanyol - Pre Season Friendly

After the match Solskjaer spoke to the fans and here is what he said, in full (taken from manutd.com)

“Thank you, thanks. I’ve had more than a year to think about this and it’s not getting any easier.“
I knew this was going to be my last game at Old Trafford and today you’ve been absolutely fantastic again. You’re the best supporters in the world.
“I’d like to thank Espanyol, who came over here and made a good game out of it. It was a good run-out for our boys.
"It’s a very important season for us and it was important that they got a good game.
“Next, I’d like to thank the manager. He’s been absolutely fantastic with me.
"He has guided me through my career – I’ve had my highs, I’ve also had my lows, and he supported me very well through that time.
"I can’t thank him enough. I’m going into coaching and if I haven’t learnt from him than I can’t do coaching. So thank you, boss.
“The players… I’ve played with the best players in the world. It’s easy being a forward when you play with these players. They create chances for you – you miss one, you get another one.
"I can’t say thanks enough to them – they’ve made every minute here a special one for me. And the last 25 here, I’ll remember for the rest of my life.
"It’s something my family, myself and all my friends will remember. It’s been a special day. "Thanks to all the staff who have supported me, who have helped me through dark periods. Most of all to the supporters – you’ve been absolutely fantastic, you kept me going.
"And I’ve got the three loveliest kids in the world and a lovely wife. I’d like to thank them as well.
"Thanks, thank you very much.”

Leave a Reply