Man United Knock Southampton Out Of The FA Cup

Man United are through to the next round of the FA Cup after beating Southampton 2-1 at St Mary's. An understrength United side had to come from 1-0 down to beat the League One side.

Sir Alex Ferguson made many changes to the side who started against Blackpool with Anders Lindegaard, John O'Shea, Jonny Evans, Fabio Da Silva, Anderson, Gabriel Obertan, Michael Owen and Javier Hernandez all coming in.

Man United starting XI- Lindegaard, O'Shea, Smalling, Evans, Fabio, Anderson, Scholes, Gibson, Obertan, Owen and Hernandez.

The Saints got off to the better start with Rickie Lambert causing the Man Unite defence a few problems. Dan Harding thought he gave Southampton the lead after Richard Chaplow's deflected shot fell to him but after putting the ball past Lindegaard, the goal was correctly ruled out due to Chaplow being offside.

Owen had the best of United's first half chances, his first saw the ball fly just past the fast post, his second was a cross into the area ended with the ball hitting the post and bouncing away.

Southampton took the lead just before half time after some awful defending by Man United, which resulted in Chaplow smashing the ball past Lindegaard and into the roof of the net.

United made a substitution immediately after the first half with Wes Brown replacing Fabio. Man United did start the second half better than they finished the third but with 13 minutes of the second half gone and no signs of United equalising, Sir Alex Ferguson made a double substitution. Ryan Giggs and Luis Nani came on for Gibson and Anderson.

The substitutes made an immediate impact with Giggs' free-kick creating a chance for Evans, who's header was caught by Southampton keeper Bartosz Bialkowski. That was soon followed by a ball into the area by Nani, Owen came very close to scoring but his effort was wide of the post.

It was Owen who leveled up the scores. Obertan's cross in from the right took a deflection and Owen was there to head past Bialkowski. The equaliser didn't deter Southampton who almost took the lead after Owen's goal but Dan Harding lashed the ball inches wide.

With just under 15 minutes remaining, Hernandez scored what turned out to be the goal which would send United through to the next round. Ryan Dickson lost the ball to Owen, he passed the ball to Giggs, who put through Hernandez and the Mexican put the ball past the keeper.

Not the best of performances again but all that matters is that United are still in the FA Cup. The Saints shouldn't be too down hearted, they put in a great performance but United had too much in the end.

Leave a Reply