Hangzhou Greentown 2-8 Manchester United, Pre-season Review

Manchester United finished their tour of Asia with an 8-2 thrashing of China's Hangzhou Greentown. I wouldn't call the match a thriller but it was an entertaining match to watch.

Sir Alex Ferguson opted for a starting XI of Edwin Van der Sar, Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand, Jonny Evans, Fabio da Silva, Zoran Tosic, Luis Nani, Paul Scholes, Darren Fletcher, Michael Owen and Dimitar Berbatov.

For the first 23 minutes Man United were playing well but the only problem was that we weren't precise enough in the final third. The opening goal was scored in the 24th minute, Berbatov passed the ball to Nani who put Owen in on goal and Owen scored. Berbatov was behind Owen so if Owen had missed, Berbatov would have scored.

Six minutes later, Nani crossed the ball into Berbatov, Berbatov volleyed the ball in from a tight angle to give United a 2-0 lead. One minute later and Man United were 3-0 up. Tosic received the ball from Berbatov, Tosic cut in on his left and from 12 yards out he shot past the goalie.

40 minutes into the match and Man United were cruising 4-0. Berbatov supplied yet another great ball, he set up Owen with an easy goal to score and Owen's second of the game. That was the end of the first half goals.

Second half and Fergie brought on Ben Foster for Van Der Sar and Wayne Rooney was also brought on for Owen. We only had to wait four minutes before Man United had their fifth. Nani played a one-two with Berbatov and then calmly slotted the ball past the goalkeeper.

46 minutes in and alot of Man United substitutions were made. Wes Brown, Ryan Giggs, Anderson and Ji-Sung Park all came on for Nani, Ferdinand, Scholes and Fletcher.

Giggs had only been on the pitch for three minutes when he scored from 20 yards out. Park laid off the ball to him and Giggs curled the ball past the goalkeeper and defender into the bottom right corner. Man United were now 6-0 up.

70 minutes in and Berbatov was brought off and Darron Gibson was brought on.

Nine minutes after Giggs had his first goal, he added a second to that. Rooney slid the ball into the path of Giggs and he cooly and calmly chipped the keeper to give United their 7th goal of the game.

78 minutes in and United weren't going to get a clean sheet. Wang Hong Yu out jumped Rooney and he headed the ball past Foster and gave the Chinese side a consolation goal. Minutes after that goal, Man United went to the other end and Evra missed an open goal from around 4 metres out.

85 minutes gone and Anderson came extremely close to scoring his first ever Manchester United go when he cut through the defence with ease and then hit the post. Minutes later he had another shot and the ball went flying over the bar.

87 minutes in and we only had minutes to go but there was still time for two goals. The first one fell to Man United. From a Man United corner, the ball broke to Giggs who was standing near the penalty spot, Giggs had all the time in the world to pick out a spot and score.

Two minutes were added on and just over the two minute mark, Hangzhou Greentown had their second. Otto hit a stunning shot and Foster had no chance. He was never going to save that.

Overall it was a good game, after a few goals Man United's confidence grew and that can only be a good thing. In Man United's tour of Asia we have played four times, winning all four, we have scored 16 and conceded eight.

Leave a Reply