Owen Talks Man United, Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea

Man United striker Michael Owen is loving life at Old Trafford and he has said the was always confident he would score goals. Owen hasn’t played in as many games for Man United than I thought he would but he has bagged himself a few goals. The most important was the last minute on in United’s 4-3 victory over Manchester City.

Kempton Races

"In my own mind I never doubted I’d score goals if I stayed fit and was given time on the pitch," Owen told ManUtd.com

"How can you fail to score goals in a team like this? You’re playing with such good players that it’s impossible not to get chances.


"In Madrid it was a similar story – I didn’t start every game but I ended up with the best goals-to-minutes ratio in the league.


"You can twist stats whichever way you want. A goal every one-and-a-half games sounds good, whereas four goals in 16 games isn’t quite so impressive. But they’re both accurate.


"At the end of the day, all I’m concerned about is playing and scoring as many times as I can.


"I’ve played in a team that was struggling and I much prefer life at a winning club, even if that means I don’t play every minute of every game.


"I’m here at a club that’s full of quality, training with top players every day and working under a top manager. I’ve had my fair share of starts and minutes on the pitch this season so I’m not about to complain."

Owen went on to talk about the winning goal he scored for United against City and the defeats to Liverpool and Chelsea.

"That moment was really special," he said. "When I retire and I’m thinking about the top five or six thrills I got out of football I’ll definitely think about my goal in the World Cup against Argentina and scoring two in an FA Cup final.


"But scoring that goal against City is right up there with those moments."


“When we lost at Liverpool it was a different story – we didn’t perform well at Anfield – but at Chelsea there’s no way on Earth we deserved to lose that game," he added.


"We walked away from Stamford Bridge with our heads held high and feeling pretty happy with the way we played. There were plenty of positives to take out of that performance.


"As an outsider for many years, the image I have of Manchester United is of a team that only really hits top gear around Christmas. I remember a lot of unbeaten runs in the latter part of seasons and, looking ahead at our fixtures, we’re aiming to embark on one of those now.


"We’ve got a good opportunity – we don’t play any of the ‘big’ sides again until the end of January – so there’s definitely no need to panic over a five-point gap."

Leave a Reply