Premier League Review: Hull 1-3 Man United

Earlier on this afternoon Man United played Hull City at the KC Stadium. For the first time in weeks Man United had an entire back four made up of defenders. Man United made many mistakes throughout the game but after a 3-1 win, we are now two points behind leaders Chelsea.

Man United starting XI- Tomasz Kuszczak, Rafael da Silva, Nemanja Vidic, Wes Brown, Patrice Evra, Antonio Valencia, Michael Carrick, Darren Fletcher, Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov.

Rooney opened up the scoring during first half stoppage time but after a huge mistake by the goalscorer Hull were handed (literally) a lifeline. Rooney made up for the mistake with a cross, which was put into the back of his own net by Andy Dawson. United killed the game off with a third and final goal scored by Berbatov thanks to Rooney, who was involved in all of the goals.

After Chelsea drew 1-1 with Birmingham yesterday we had a fantastic chance to close the gap to two points. This showed as United got off to a great start with some one-touch football.

Hull stood firm to United’s early pressure and they then threw some of their own at United. Craig Fagan slid the ball through for Richard Garcia, who went down too easily in the penalty area, the correct decision was made and Hull weren’t awarded a penalty.

That was quickly followed by a powerful strike by Seyi Olofinjana brining out a fine save by Kuszczak. Not long later Olofinjana put Steven Hunt through on goal, he dragged his shot wide.

Man United slowly grew in confidence throughout the first half, at one point it looked like Giggs had scored but unfortunately the ball hit the side netting. Rooney and Rafael brought saves out of the goalkeeper but the deadlock wasn’t broken until first half stoppage time.

Fletcher crossed the ball into the penalty area from down the right, Giggs flicked the ball to Rooney, who stuck the ball into the back of the net.

Second half and we expected Man United to come out all guns blazing and try to snatch another vital second goal. With 59 minutes on the clock, Hull were handed a way back into the game. Rooney’s poor backpass to Kuszczak was nicked by Fagan, Rafael brought down Jozy Altdore and Hull had a penalty. Fagan stepped up to take the penalty and calmly slotted it past Kuszczak.

That goal understandably gave Hull confidence and they poured forward looking for another goal. From a Hull corner, Giggs broke away for United, slotted the ball through to Rooney. Rooney’s ball into towards substitute Ji-Sung Park was put into the back of his own net by Andy Dawson who was sliding in.

Man United sealed the win 82 minutes in when Rooney nutmegged Anthony Gardner and Berbatov had a simple tap in.

3 points for United, we didn’t play well again but yet again we got all three points. It was great to see four fit defenders and at some points it showed. Hopefully we can start improving against Wigan.

Leave a Reply