Man United Fail To Set New Club Record After Defeat To Wolves

Manchester United failed to take advantage of Arsenal's slip-up at St James' Park after a 2-1 loss to Wolves. In doing that Man United have failed to set a new club record of 30 games unbeaten in the league.

Rafael Da Silva returned after suffering concussion during Man United's game against Blackpool on the 25th January. Darren Fletcher was also fit to start after picking up an eye injury during United's 3-1 win over Aston Villa midweek. Rio Ferdinand was originally named in the starting line-up but was injured during the warm-up, Jonny Evans replaced him.

Man United starting XI- Van der Sar, Rafael, Vidic, Evans, Evra, Nani, Carrick, Fletcher, Giggs, Rooney and Berbatov.

Wolves got off to a lively start but down the other end, Manchester United scored from their first attack. 3 minutes in Luis Nani received the ball down the right, he cut inside and fired the ball past Wayne Hennessey.
United could have been 2-0 up second later after Dimitar Berbatov found Wayne Rooney from 15 yards out but Rooney's effort was comfortably saved by Hennessey.

Seven minutes after United scored, Wolves pulled one back. Not for the first time this season, some bad defending from a corner lead to the opposition scoring. A short corner ended with George Elokobi heading past Edwin Van Der Sar from close range.

Man United continued to apply pressure towards the Wolves goal, immediately after the equaliser Ryan Giggs saw his shot deflected away for a corner. Minutes later United could have been awarded a penalty after Nemanja Vidic was fouled in the area. That was followed by a shot by Berbatov but his effort was straight at Hennessey, the Bulgarians next opportunity ended with him heading the ball just over the bar.

Wolves did put United under pressure and had their own shout for a penalty after Kevin Doyle went down in the area but referee Michael Oliver waved away the claims. The home side had a couple of corners in a matter of minutes, the first saw Jamie O'Hara forcing Van Der Sar to save with his feet, the second was just about cleared by United.

Wolves continued to cause the United defence problems. Rafael brought down Nenad Milijas, his free-kick was deflected just wide. Wolves took the lead with five minutes of the first half remaining. Wolves were awarded another free-kick, which was taken by Milijas and either headed in by Kevin Doyle or rolled in off the back of Elokobi. The goal went down as being scored by Doyle.

Sir Alex Ferguson made an immediate chance for the second half bringing on Paul Scholes for Michael Carrick, who had been anonymous for most of the first half.

O'Hara was shown a yellow card 51 minutes in after pulling back Darren Fletcher. He should have been shown a second yellow after terrible challenge on Fletcher, moments later O'Hara was substituted.

Just before the hour mark, Rafael's low ball into the Wolves penalty area was hit just wide of the Onpost by Scholes.

With United still 2-1 down, Sir Alex Ferguson made a double substitution. Chris Smalling came on for Evans, who had picked up an injury. Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez came on for Berbatov.

Nani tried to bring United back into the game but his strikes towards the goal were either high and wide or the ball was taken off him by one of the Wolves defenders.

With time running and only minutes remaining, Scholes was shown a yellow card for trying to scored with his hand.

The game finished Wolves 2-1 Man United. United are still top of the league but are now four points ahead of Arsenal.

Leave a Reply