Ronaldinho = No Ronaldo

FC Barcelona v Club America


Man United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that if United had signed former Barcelona (now AC Milan) star Ronaldinho then Man United probably wouldn’t have signed Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ronaldo joined Man United in 2003 and if we did sign Ronaldinho, he might not be the player that he is today. I don’t know if this is ‘news’ because I am sure I have heard this before but it is interesting.

Imagine Man United over the past few years without Ronaldo but with Ronaldinho. Would we have won the Premier League, Champions League and other honours? I am not sure.

Would Ronaldo be the world’s best player? I’m not sure.

We will never know but what I do know is that I am glad we signed Ronaldo not Ronaldinho.

Here is what Fergie had to say:

"I thought we'd clinched the deal [for Ronaldinho], but when I flew to Paris to speak with him, the goalposts seemed to have moved somehow," Sir Alex is quoted by The Irish Independent as saying.

"His people complained to me that it didn't seem as though they were getting the same deal we'd previously agreed.

"The next thing I know, he was at Barcelona the following day.

"It was a big disappointment at the time"

"But we signed Cristiano Ronaldo that very same summer and perhaps we wouldn't have ended up with Ronaldo had we got Ronaldinho."

"We probably would have kept tabs on Ronaldo, though, because we had a pre-contract agreement with Sporting"

"However, maybe we wouldn't have accelerated the Ronaldo deal in the way we did."


Are you glad we got Ronaldo not Ronaldinho?


Leave a Reply