Rio And Patrice Still Gutted Over Final

Tonight Man United play their first Champion’s League match since the final last May. Man United lost 2-0 to Barcelona and it is still on the minds of both Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra.

Man United were only one win away from making history, if we had won that night we would have been the first team to retain the Champion’s League trophy.

Ferdinand is hoping to erase the memories of that disastrous night in Rome.

MANCHESTER UNITED V VALENCIA CFFerdinand said: "It was sickening because we felt we were on the cusp of greatness.
"The Champions League is the stuff of dreams. As a kid growing up, you sit there thinking if you will ever be good enough to win it.
"To be able to get there and win it was ridiculous for me. The way we won it, too, on penalties against Chelsea, was incredible.
"You want to win it at all costs. Having lost a Champions League final, I know what it feels like and it's not an easy thing to talk about.
"We never got going. If we had scored in the first ten minutes, I think we'd have gone on to win the game, but they got the first goal and it stunned us.
"We never recovered and that was so disappointing." 

Evra has also been speaking about loosing in May, he has said that he is haunted by the loss and that he forgot United had won the treble.


CHELSEA V MANCHESER UNITED
Evra said: "When I think about last season now I don't think about winning the Premier League or the Club World Cup or the Carling Cup.
"All I think about is losing in Rome and that's made me very determined to do well this year and make up for that.
"But that doesn't mean my focus is only on the Champions League - my ambition is for the team to do well, no matter what competition we're in.
"I'm a winner - I like to win - so I still think about what happened in Rome.
"Everybody says we did well last season and we won three trophies.
"But when you lose the final in the manner we did - we didn't give a true account of ourselves - it's very frustrating.
"We didn't show people the real Manchester United and we were very upset with ourselves.
"We missed a big opportunity in Rome and that's a real shame. It killed all my dreams last year."

We had a fantastic season last season and to be fair, after the loss to Barcelona, the season felt like a disappointment.

Anyway, we are starting again and hopefully we can win it this season.

Leave a Reply