Rooney: Life Is Different Without Ronaldo

Sports News - October 22, 2008
Man United striker Wayne Rooney has said that life at Old Trafford is now different without Cristiano Ronaldo and now the team doesn’t revolve around the former United winger.

Ronaldo left Man United during the summer for a record breaking £80 million. Many believe that the departure of Ronaldo will make Man United weaker, which is pretty obvious, any team who looses the world’s best player will be weaker but Rooney can now play the way he wants.

"As a footballer you want to be the best and I'm no different," Rooney told The Daily Mirror. "It would be nice to be the main man, but for me the team is the most important thing.


"It's different without Cristiano [Ronaldo] here. When he was here, the team was basically built around him and we went from there.


"But now he's gone, everyone knows their positions and what we have to do to break teams down.


"It's a different way of playing, and any team would miss a player like Cristiano, but we feel like we're doing well without him.


"We do everything together as a team, but if it means I'm the one who has to score the goals now he's gone, then I hope it happens.


"I always try to score more goals than the previous season, and now I'm taking penalties, I could maybe get an extra five or six goals.


"I'm happy with the position I'm playing in now. I'm scoring goals and hopefully that will continue.


"Last season I played on the left a lot, and I'm always happy to do whatever the manager wants.


"But I've always said I prefer to play up front, and thankfully I've played every game there this season. Now it's up to me and the rest of the team to show what we can do."

This week is Rooney’s fifth anniversary at United. Five years ago he scored that stunning hat-trick during United’s 6-2 bashing of Fenerbahce.

"The last five years have flown by but I've really enjoyed them, especially the last three when we've been successful," Rooney added.

"After the first year I was here I thought it might be a while before we won our first trophy, because Chelsea looked so strong.


"I was thinking it could be a while before we won the league again. Chelsea won it the first two years I was here, then we won it and have really kicked on since then.


"Having been champions for the past three seasons, we all know this is a massive season for us, to show we're still the top team in the country.


"Apart from losing at Burnley early on, we've been able to grind out results, even when we haven't played that well, which is a good sign."

Lets look forward to another five fantastic years at Man United and hopefully more.



Leave a Reply