Premier League Review: Portsmouth 1-4 Man United

Man United striker Wayne Rooney bagged himself a hat-trick as Man United went on to go only two points behind Chelsea, who play Arsenal tomorrow. Alongside the referee, Man United had a very poor first half but unlike the referee, they had a very good second half.

Sports - November 03, 2007

Rooney put Man United ahead with a penalty, not long after that Portsmouth were given an extremely soft penalty. Second half and Man United went 2-1 up not long into the second half, that was followed by another penalty for Man United and a fabulous free-kick by Ryan Giggs. The game finished Portsmouth 1-4 Manchester United.

Portsmouth were made to rue their fantastic first half chances, which mainly fell to Striker Aruna Dindane. Tomasz Kuszczak replaced Edwin Van Der Sar in goal and he kept United in the game when he tipped Jamie O’Hara’s strike over the bar.

Pompey were punished when Rooney and Antonio Valencia counter-attacked, Rooney was fouled in the penalty area. At a first glance, the penalty looked soft, a second look showed that Rooney was fouled. Rooney stepped up and scored his first out of three.

Portsmouth could have disintegrated but they continued to attack and they were handed a very dubious penalty. O’Hara took a freekick, referee awarded a penalty and all 21 players on the pitch were surprised. A look back and the only possible reason why it could have been awarded was because Nemanja Vidic pulled on Frederic Piquionne’s shirt. Kevin Prince-Boateng stepped up and slotted the ball into the back of the net.

The game went in at 1-1 and most Man United fans weren’t very optimistic. United had played awfully and the referee hadn’t been at his best. There was no reason to worry, United came out for the second half firing.

Not long into the second half and Darren Fletcher found Giggs who curled the ball into Rooney, he calmly slotted the ball past the keeper. The game was put past Portsmouth when Piquionne brought Giggs down in the penalty area. Stonewall penalty, Rooney stepped up and scored his hat-trick.

87 minutes in Giggs stepped up 22-yards out and curled the ball into the bottom corner. That was his 100th Premier League goal, ahead of his 36th birthday on Sunday.

There could have been five penalties awarded today, three were given and the other two looked like blatant penalties. The referee wasn’t at his best and if United had drawn or lost this game then there would have been a massive uproar.

Man United won the game 4-1, we are now only two points behind Chelsea who have a difficult game down at the Emirates. We can now sit back and hopefully watch Chelsea drop a few points.

Leave a Reply