Nani Apologises For Red Card

Football - Aston Villa v Manchester United Barclays Premier League
Last night Man United winger Luis Nani apologised for the red card he received against Aston Villa on Wedneday. Nani was sent off for a two-footed lunge on Villa’s Stiliyan Petrov, who was injured as a result of that lunge according to his manager Martin O’Neill.

Nani will now miss the Premier League games against Everton and Wolves, he will also miss the Carling Cup final against Aston Villa.

Nani said: “I’m sorry I got sent off because I damaged the work of the team and we did not have a full team, didn’t win the game and didn’t go to the top of the table.

“I don’t think I deserved the red card because I was going for the ball and not the player. I didn’t mean to leave Petrov injured and anyone who knows me knows that I’m not a violent player.

“It’s disappointing because I was playing well, helping the team and we are going for the title. I can’t wait to come back.

“The manager has told me that bad tackles are punished heavily in England but I insist that I was going for the ball, not the player.”

I don't think that many believe that Nani is a dirty player, it was more a stupid challenge. A few years ago he wouldn't have been sent off but things have changed and going in with a two footed challenge will get you a straight red.

Leave a Reply