City Beat The 10-Men Of United At Wembley

Manchester City will play either Stoke or Bolton in the final of the FA Cup after beating Manchester United 1-0 at Wembley.


Man United starting XI- Van der Sar, O'Shea, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Park, Scholes, Carrick, Valencia, Berbatov and Nani.

Subs- Kuszczak, Owen, Fabio, Smalling, Anderson, Hernandez and Gibson.

Man City starting XI- Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Lescott, Kolarov, De Jong, Barry, A Johnson, Yaya Toure, Silva and Balotelli.

Subs- Taylor, Boyata, Vieira, Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Dzeko and Jo.

The Game:

Man United started off the better side at Wembley, with Dimitar Berbatov having two fantastic chances in the opening few minutes. Ji-Sung Park put Berbatov through on goal but Joe Hart came out and blocked the Bulgarian's shot. Second later, Nani picked up the ball from a throw-in, he turned and his cross across goal was hit over the bar by Berbatov from two yards out.

United continued to attack City's goal, Michael Carrick had an effort from 20 yards out but it was charged down by the City defence.

Man United then had a couple of opportunities from corners. The first saw Berbatov loop his header from Antonio Valencia's corner over the bar and onto the netting. Then from another corner taken by Valencia, Vidic couldn't direct his header towards goal.

Man City didn't threaten the Man United goal until just after the half hour mark. Gareth Barry turned in Man United's penalty area, his shot hit the side netting.

Then a powerful long distance strike from Mario Balotelli had to be knocked over the bar from Edwin Van Der Sar. City came close to opening up the scoring minutes before half time but Vincent Kompany's curling shot went just wide of Van Der Sar's post.

Manchester City took the lead on the 52nd minute after a mistake from Carrick. The midfielder lost possession just outside the area, the ball was picked up by Yaya Toure, he ran past Vidic and hit the ball past Van Der Sar.

David Silva almost found Toure at the far post but Van Der Sar claimed the ball. That was followed by two shots by Balotteli, which were blocked by Ferdinand and Vidic.

Man United were awarded a free-kick after Pablo Zabaleta fouled Park. Before the free-kick was taken, Antonio Valencia was replaced by Javier Hernandez. Nani took the free-kick, which took a deflection and was pushed onto the bar by Hart.

Things went from bad to worse after Paul Scholes was shown a straight red card after a high challenge on Zabaleta. Sir Alex Ferguson's response to the red card was to bring on Anderson for Berbatov.

Man United had to play just less than 20 minutes with 10-men but they still had a few chances. Hernandez tried to equalise for United but his shot was saved by Hart. Evra had a good chance to put the ball into the area but instead he tried to hit the ball past Hart and the near post but his effort went wide.

Toure had a very good chance to score City's second just before full time. Toure burst into the United penalty area, the ball was finally cleared by a combination of Vidic and Van Der Sar.

City won the game 1-0 and will now play in the FA Cup final.

Leave a Reply