Premier League Review: Manchester United 4-3 Manchester City

Today was the much-anticipated Manchester derby. Carlos Tevez didn’t have the best of receptions- he was booed by most of the Man United crowd.

Man United got off to a fantastic start after scoring under the two-minute mark.
Wayne Rooney got onto Patrice Evra’s pullback. He went past two Man City players and put it underneath Man City goalie Shay Given.

After the really early goal, Man City’s defence looked really wobbly and nervous. Man United had total control of the game.

Anderson got off to a great start and he was taking control of midfield. He also set up Dimitar Berbatov in the 12th minute but Berba’s shot was just over the crossbar.

16 minutes in and there came a horrible moment for Ben Foster. Tevez tackled Foster just outside the penalty area and he then set up Gareth Barry who stuck the ball into the back of the net.

After that goal, City came into the match for the first time and they probably shaded it for the rest of the first half. Both teams had a couple of shots off target- Rooney and Berbatov for United.

Tevez should have put City 2-1 ahead on the 45th minute mark. Ireland presented Tevez will the ball his shot hit the outside of the post but it should have been a goal. I thought that was going to be Tevez’ moment.

Second half and Man United got another early goal. This time it was four minutes into play and Ryan Giggs and Patrice Evra with some fantastic play, Giggs crossed the ball in and Fletcher was there to head it into the back of the net.

Straight after the goal, Ji-Sung Park skewed it wide from around 18-yards out. Seconds after that, Giggs had a shot saved by Given’s legs.

Also like the first half, not long after United scored, City scored. Like the first half aswell, it was a Man United player’s fault. Park was with Craig Bellamy and instead of staying with him he watched Tevez. Bellamy cut inside from the left and hit an unstoppable shot. That was only four minutes after United’s goal.

On the hour mark, Rooney crossed the ball in but Giggs header was off-target, he should really have done better.

In the 61st minute, Sir Alex made his first substitution; Antonio Valencia came on for Park.

65 minutes in and there was a fantastic header by Berbatov, a free header but a great reaction save by Given. Some moments in the game, Rio Ferdinand looked like he hasn’t recovered from his injury.

At this point, it was all Man United and City were hanging on and only thanks to Given. Minutes later, Given saved another Berbatov header, this one was slightly more comfortable.
Valencia was part of the catalyst to put United on the front foot, he did well once he came on for Park.

With around 20 minutes left, Valencia pulled the ball back and Giggs shot was turned over the bar by Shay Given. A minute or two after that, Berbatov had another header, which went over the bar.

With 13 minutes left, Michael Owen was brought on for Berbatov. It wasn’t Owen who got our third goal though. With just over 10 minutes to go, Man United were given a free kick after Shaun Wright-Phillips fouled Evra. Giggs ball into the penalty area was headed into the back of the net by Fletcher; his second of the game, Given had no chance.

After that goal, Man United sat back dangerously. With not long left in the game, Wright-Phillip’ shot was saved by Foster’s fingertips and City had a corner. Micah Richards had a fantastic opportunity resulting from that corner.

With seconds left, Man City scored their third goal. Foster tried to force Bellamy out wide but somehow Bellamy managed to put the ball into the back of the net from a very tight corner.

With four minutes added on and two already been played, Sir Alex brought on Michael Carrick for Anderson.

With five and a half minutes played, Michael Owen scored for United. A fantastic ball in and a better finish by Owen. I couldn’t believe that we scored and I was ecstatic.

The game finished Manchester United 4-3 Manchester City.

City were always dangerous on the break but they didn’t deserve to get a point. Man United went ahead three time and we ended up drawing. All three goals were defensive mistakes.

What a derby game it was and I will bet anything that Mark Hughes will complain about the stoppage time. Four minutes were added on but six was played, I am not sure where the extra two minutes came from but right now I don’t really care.

Leave a Reply