Man United Lose Out On Costa

At one point it looked like Brazilian Douglas Costa was set to join Man United, unfortunately on Wednesday Costa joined Shakhtar Donetsk for £5.8 million.

Man United had been keeping an eye on the 19-year old for over a year now, United had asked to take him on a two week loan but Gremio turned that down. It was thought that United wanted to lower the asking price for the youngster and money was the reason why Costa hadn’t joined.

The guardian did print a story a while back claiming that Man United had bid £8 million for the player but Gremio wanted £21 million. So if this story is true and he has signed for £5.8 million it will be disappointing news.

Since joining Donetsk Costa has said: “I wasn’t expecting it. I found out from my agent [Cesar Bottega] when I was still on the bus heading to Bento Gonçalves [for training]. I expected something to happen, but I was focused on Grêmio. Now, I have to think of Shakhtar. I am very happy. The club has tried to buy me twice so I hope I’ll meet their expectations”.

3 Responses so far.

  1. Wayne Greiner says:

    Disappointing is an understatement, if we cant beat a club like Donetsk in buying players then we might as well pack it up?.There is more to it than meets the eye, there has to be?.

  2. Anonymous says:

    If it is true then it means we were being magged by gremio. Why refuse 8m and accept 6m?

  3. The more I think about it the more I think there must be more too it than money. Maybe the rumours were false and Sir Alex wasn't interested in him.

Leave a Reply