Tevez Defends His Goal Celebrations

Carling Cup: Manchester City 2 v 1 Manchester United
Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez has said that Man United manager Sir Alex Ferguson and defender Gary Neville disrespected him. After scoring against Man United, Tevez provoked Neville, Sir Alex and the Man United fans because they have all said that he wasn’t ‘worth it’.

Tevez left Man United during the summer and joined Man City for £25 million; many people associated with Man United have said that he wasn’t worth that price. To be fair, he isn’t, in my opinion no footballer is worth that amount of money.

Tevez said: "I just think Gary was very disrespectful which, to be fair, is out of character, but he didn't know the whole story of why I left Manchester United and I believe I deserved his respect”
"We achieved a lot together at United, I was the second top scorer there in my first season at the club and I deserve respect from my fellow professionals."

Tevez went on to say: "Football is a form of theatre and as far as I am concerned it was just a form of banter”

"There was nothing malicious intended whatsoever. I was not trying to incite anyone but I was entitled to say to Neville that he should have been more respectful. For the second goal I ran to the touchline and cupped my ears and looked up to the part of the ground where the United directors were sitting, and also to Ferguson in the dugout, because I wanted them to know this was my response to them saying I was not worth the money."

"People from United have been speaking about me publicly and criticising me but I wanted to do my talking on the pitch because that was the best way of responding to all these people, such as Neville, who were saying United were right to let me go."

This may sound childish but Tevez did start it all off. When he left Man United he started coming out with rubbish like Mark Hughes is a lot better manager than Sir Alex Ferguson. This whole situation is rather childish, Sir Alex shouldn’t need to rile the players up for the next game but I am sure he could use this situation to his advantage and get the players up for the game (as if they didn’t need it).

Leave a Reply