What Makes A Glory Hunter?

It is well known that Manchester United have fans all around the world, but what makes a fan a glory hunter?

People who don't live in Manchester or the surrounding area are often called glory hunters because they don't support the local team, now I don't agree with that.
I no longer live in Manchester, in fact I am closer to Chelsea and Arsenal than Manchester, there are many die hard Manchester United fans where I live, some have supported them for 30-40 years, some would never support another team, no matter what, even if United are in League One, are they really glory supporters?
I believe that you can support what ever team that you want, in your country. I struggle to understand how people can support other teams from other countries. For example, a person I know supports Barcelona, why do they support Barcelona? Not because they love the history of the club, not because they love the passion of the club but because they think that they have a chance of winning something, I don't understand how you can support a club from another country.

I have come across a few people who are glory hunters and they obviously no nothing about football, for example, I met one person who supported six English teams, I bet you can pretty much guess who they were- Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton and Tottenham. Now if that isn't a glory hunter then I don't know what is.
How can you support Manchester United and Liverpool, there is a massive rival between these two teams.

So, what I would like to know, in your opinion, what makes a fan a glory hunter?

6 Responses so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Please see the link above. The bit I find interesting is the role the media have to play in the evolution of Glory Hunters.

  2. Anonymous says:

    I can't seem to get this post out of my head since reading it a couple of weeks back.
    I understand and know that there are loads of glory hunters out there, supporting arsenal this season, Utd next season and a year after that real Madrid or any other club that's most successful at the time being.
    I just feel, that you can't call all non-UK Utd fans glory hunters. What's the difference between someone living in London and someone living somewhere else. The supporter from London will most probably see just as many fixtures at OT as the fan from South Africa or wherever.
    I myself not being British, nor ever having lived in Britain or been to Manchester before would never consider myself to be a glory hunter. My father brought me a Utd scarve from a business trip to Manchester when I was 4-5 years old. I neither knew what utd was, nor how succesful they were. But from the day I first held it in my hands I knew i was a Utd supporter. I have hardly missed a game since I was 7 years old, supporting Utd in good times as in bad.
    So please, show a little respect for us non-UK & non-glory hunter fans, I'm sure that at least 50% of us are die hard! Consider this: Without us, millions and millions of fans, Utd would never be what it is, without us since we spend millions and millions of pounds on merchandise allowing the club to have players who are payed more than 100k a week.

  3. Shuggo says:

    Hi anonymous,

    I would like to say firstly, I didn't mean for it to come across like that, I don't think that all foreign supporters are glory hunters, because I don't believe that at all.
    What I was trying to get across was that there are glory hunters and they are the people who support Arsenal, United, Liverpool and Chelsea.
    I was also trying to say that I personally couldnt support another team from another country but I don't think there is anything wrong with foreigners supporting United.
    After re-reading my post again I should have phrased it differently.

  4. Anonymous says:

    your all glory hunting munich bastards

  5. Oscar says:

    What makes a glory hunter?

    In my theory, a glory hunter is where they are NOT true football fans. They'll only support them teams based on their success. I'm a Blackburn Rovers fan and has been ever since when I was a youngster from going to the games at Ewood Park and the fact that I'm from Blackburn.

    When Rovers won the Premier League title in 1995. It was flooded with people wearing Blue and White shirts. But like a season or two, some changed their tune and began wearing United shirts because they started winning titles again. Though there is still a huge support for Rovers but not in the scale it was 15 years ago.

    I know somebody personally when I was a younger who was a Rovers fan and then became a United fan overnight. That's a blatant glory hunter. If that isn't, then what is a glory hunter?

  6. Anonymous says:

    well i live in birmingham i support aston villa i think your wright m8 i had a friend who supported liverpool den m u chealsea but finally he became villain but after 3 yrs he wears a man u shirt lol oh and wat r your views on the dropping attendances at grounds villas droped 6 000 blues 5 00 west brom 4 00 wolves 2 000 a nd man u 2 million lol

Leave a Reply