Berbatov Staying But Retiring From International Football

The Manchester United striker and the captain of Bulgaria's national football team, Dimitar Berbatov speaks during his special press conference
Man United striker Dimitar Berbatov yesterday retired from International football, he has also stated that he will be staying at Manchester United.

Since joining United in September 2008, it’s fair to say that the Bulgarian hasn’t been in the best of form, he’s been frustrating and is a striker lacking confidence.

Berbatov has been the captain of Bulgaria for the past three years, not only has he had criticism from United fans but he has also been widely criticised by the Bulgarian press.

"I am withdrawing from the Bulgarian national team, it was a difficult decision but I made it," Berba has been quoted as saying.

"Sometimes you have to make the difficult ones. I though about it enough, but everything has a beginning and an end and that is today."

Not only has the 29 year-old announced that he’s retiring from International football but he has tried to put an end to rumours linking him with a move away from Old Trafford.

Berbatov currently has two years left on his contract and he is expecting to play out that contract, that is assuming that Sir Alex Ferguson hasn’t had enough and decided to get rid of him.

Berbatov said: “I’m sure United will buy a new striker, but I am there and that’s important. I will try to fulfil my contract because where would I go after United? I do not know about interest from other clubs and I have had no meetings because I am a Manchester United player.

“In my two years things could have been better, but they could have been worse, too. I have had my moments. I have won the championship and the Carling Cup, but people had great expectations for the money it cost to sign me. We do not know what will happen in the third year. I do not show any emotions but I’m really happy.”

In other quotes linked with Berbatov today, he has reportedly said:

"I am going nowhere.

"I have arrived where I wanted to be, I have reached the summit."

"United is the biggest team and I will fight to stay there until the end of my contract."

Berbatov can’t help the high fee that United has paid for him but some of the misses have been awful, especially during the final few games of the 2009/10 Premier League season.

I don’t know how much more patience Sir Alex can have with him, there is only so many chances you can give a player. If he does stay and doesn’t improve next season, then I can see him being sold.

Leave a Reply