Is Adebayor Right?

Football - Arsenal v Villarreal UEFA Champions League Quarter Final Second Leg
Arsenal's Emmanuel Adebayor has spoken out about professional footballers and why he is at Arsenal, what I want to know is whether or not his is right about what he has said?

Adebayor has said that professional footballers are motivated by money and that he would still be living in Africa if it wasn't for Europes wages.

"It is not true, it is about money," Adebayor is quoted as telling BBC Africa Sports editor Farayi Mungazi when asked whether it is true when footballers say that playing for a certain club is not about the wages.
"You are talking about in life and it is about money,"
"When we are young, of course we played because we loved the game, we play because we were passionate about the game.
"But now as soon as you reach a stage where you are professional and playing Champions League, after all those things we are talking about money.
"If it is not because of money, what am I going to be playing for Arsenal for? If it is not because of money I don't think I would go to Arsenal to play. I would stay in my country, I would stay in Lome where everyone loves me.
"If it's not because of money, I would not have come to Europe."

I believe that Adebayor is only telling the truth but if I was an Arsenal fan, I wouldn't be happy. We all know that the wages in football are incredibly high, name me one person who wouldn't like to be paid thousands of pounds or euros a week!

I'm sure Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Patrice Evra, Dimitar Berbatov and others are motivated by money but surely some of them must be passionate about playing football and for Man United.

What about Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville? They must love playing for United and playing football.

On the other hand, you would have to pay me alot to play for Arsenal aswell. What is Wenger's reaction going to be? I didn't read it?

I would love to know your thoughts on this subject.

2 Responses so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    ade is a fool. he hasn't performed at all this season. so let him move on a wreck someone elses team

  2. Shuggo says:

    Hi Anonymous, thanks for your comment. I take it that you are an Arsenal fan and if I were an Arsenal fan, I would be saying exactly the same thing.

Leave a Reply