Hargreaves Comeback On The Cards?

Sports - November 24, 2007

Ever since joining Man United in 2007, Owen Hargreaves has been having a terrible time with injuries. Hargreaves finally joined United in 2007 after almost a year of speculation and negotiations between United and German side Bayern Munich.

The first season he was at United was successful; he helped United win the Champions League and the Premier League. Last season (2008-09) he suffered injury after injury and at one point it looked like he might have to retire from playing football. In November 2008, Hargreaves flew out to America to have surgery to try and sort out a recurring patellar tendinitis problem. Hargreaves went under the knife in November and in January 2009; he had to have more surgery on his knee.

Hargreaves hasn’t played for United for around 14 months but it now looks like a comeback could finally be on the cards.

Hargreaves said: “It will be an amazing feeling to run out at Old Trafford again. I’ll be so excited I’ll probably pass out!

“I just want to be part of it again, to be available and healthy. I can’t wait to be involved.
“I want to be able to pull on the shirt and have an effect on games. I just want to compete in matches, work with the coaches to improve my game and become a better player.
“I want a good season to repay the faith shown in me by the United fans.”

“The last year has been very difficult. As an athlete you think you are invincible.
“You don’t think something of this magnitude and seriousness will happen.
“I obviously had the problem when I came to Manchester United from Germany in 2007 and we tried to manage it.
“Nothing really seemed to work, despite being available for the big games at the end of the first season.

“I came back for the next season a week early to try to sort the problem out but it just didn’t work.
“My last game was Chelsea away last season and I probably shouldn’t have played. I struggled to drive my car for three days after that match. I knew something was very wrong.”

“The diagnosis was done to ensure I can come back and play for years to come.
“I’m 28 now and I’d like to play until I’m 34, or like Giggsy, who looks like he will still be going when he is 38.”

Leave a Reply